On June 10, 1944, four days after the Allied invasion of Normandy, approximately 150 Waffen-SS soldiers surrounded and entered the town of Oradour sur Glane. They brutally murdered 642 innocent inhabitants, including women and children, and burnt the town to the ground.
When they entered the town, they ordered the people to assemble in the town square, and since the people were innocent of any wrong-doing they complied. The SS then separated the women and children from the men and locked them inside the church. They took the men away to 6 different locations, where they shot at them then trapped them in the buildings while they set them on fire. They came back to the women and children and shot them all, then set the church on fire to make sure no one escaped alive.
The Germans claimed that they were retaliating against the french underground, although there were no known members in that town. It was considered an act of terrorism. The ruins of the martyred village have been preserved as a memorial.
| Street |
| Main Street |
| Car |
| In front of the church |
| Sewing Machine |
| Memorial Plaque |
Here lived:
Felix Aliotti Age 29
Clea Aliotti Age 23
Christiane Aliotti Age 4
Marie Christine Aliotti Age 2
Michele Aliotti Age 2 months
| Pram |
Mom - that was really really sad!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWe need happier thoughts!!!! Mom - Mom - Mom - I chased TWO rabbits this morning. I was puffing so hard - it was so much fun!!!!!!! I love love love it here except we don't get to go to the dog park anymore!!!!
Mom - that lady says I can come to the airport to pick you up if she can drive your van??? Mom - where are the keys - I NEED to see you and soon!!!!!